17 October 2012

Week Forty Two, Day Three

Ok today in film class I doodled a bunch of hypothetical letterforms for a display typeface I like to call "small face" for absolutely no good reason and my 87% erroneous description would be "a modernist blackletter" (see it's modernist because of the extreme stroke contrast though I do sort of an oldstyle thing on the bracketing for some of the letterforms so really that's an innacurate description. Secondly, I call it blackletter because I would be using it at the... drop cap for novels or something like at the beginning of the chapter and I feel like blackletter typefaces are used these days for either heavy metal bands or drop caps. And also because Blackletter tends to be very decorative in appeareance and that's what this is). Anyway, my theoretical reason for developing this typeface is that I would use it for the drop caps at the beginning of each chapter. I have this whole fantasy that when I get the story into a form where it's actually good to read and stuff like that, I'd like to make my own book from scratch for it. Like make the paper myself and typeset everything myself and do the pages by myself and have super gorgeous carpet pages at the beginning of each chapter and illustrations everywhere AND FOOTNOTES and page numbers that are awesome and use the golden ratio of page design that Tschichold was an advocate of. All of this was only fueled today when in typography and book design we spent the whole time looking at all these awesome art books being sold by Vamp & Tramp. This is probably the longest paragraph I've written for this site since I gave up on writing short stories
some of them look better than others. also my actual notes arrrre pretty quality if you want to try to read them
novel: uhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment