30 March 2012

Week Thirteen, Day Six

I have more Map stuff
In this map we see the different ethnic groups of Avalonia (the home continent of my protag). They are based on the four elements BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THIS STORY IS ABOUT (no promises about this not being A:TLA). For the sake of redundancy I will explain the different groups. The red and orange are fire folk, the darker blue and grey are water blokes, the green and brown are earth dudes and the light blue and light yellow are the air buddies. The white in the middle is Asthenesia (where the Protag is from!), a loosely united Heptarchy of people who can use all four elements. Also everyone in this world can use plain old boring magic. I am a believer in the old Mythbuster maxim of "if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing"
This is a map of the geneological/elemental (because these two are closely intertwined) influences on Asthenesia. Again for the sake of redundancy, from top left clockwise: Fire, Earth, Air & Water. This doesn't mean that in those regions people can only do what elemental power is geneologically present, but it does have a correlation with whatever is generally the preferred/easiest to use element
short story status: I have to tell you about my realisation that I had today (also right now I am having the worst onion garlic breath of all time). so all this junk I've been doing for my novel lately?? Well, it's going to be a trilogy (there just too much junk going on in there to fit into one book methinks, particularly since I tend to be a loquacious writer) and then I had a realisation. There is a relatively good chance that I'll be on a mission by November of 2013 WHICH MEANS that I'll write the first third of this story, go away for eighteen months and then come back to finish the other two thirds. and that scares me for a couple of reasons (namely I'm afraid I'll get back and not want to finish it because a: I think it's irredeemable b: I won't want to work on it anymore for other reasons) so I dont'really want to risk it because as usual I don't trust my future self. So right now I'm shifting my focus more to working on that (moreso than usual). I'm not sure how this will interact with my already anæmic short story-ing

No comments:

Post a Comment